The following are links to Sutta texts available for e-book platforms such as the Kindle, Nook, and Sony Reader. Not all texts are available on all platforms. If you know of Sutta e-books (.mobi or .epub) that are not listed, please share them in the comments below.
Wisdom Publication Editions: Kindle Only, paid
The following are available through amazon.com. To find them, simply do a title search.
- The Long Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Digha Nikaya by Maurice Walsh
- The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha, A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya, translated by Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi
(Related: Majjhima Nikaya as a daily practice)
- The Connected Discourses of the Buddha, A Translation of the Samyutta Nikaya, by Bhikkhu Bodhi
- In the Buddha’s Words, by Bhikkhu Bodhi
Ancient Buddhist Texts: Mobi and Epub, free
All of the English language translations on ancient-buddhist-texts.net are currently available in Mobi and Epub format from the the Ancient Buddhist Texts Ebook Page. There are dozens of documents in the zipped download, including
- The Great Emancipation (DN 16, Mahaparinibbana Sutta)
- Exalted Utterances (The complete Udana)
- The Discourse about the Ways of Attending to Mindfulness (MN. 10, Satipatthana Sutta)
- The Discourse about Mindfulness while Breathing (MN. 118, Anapanasati Sutta)
- The Short Readings (KN 1, the complete Khuddakapatha)
- The Way to the Beyond (Sn V, the fifth chapter of the Sutta Nipata)
Buddhist Publication Society: Epub, free
Many of the BPS Wheel publications are now available as Epub books, including many of their short Sutta anthologies. Go to the Translations from the Pali Canon section of the Download Page. This includes
- Parinibbana Sutta: Last Days of the Buddha(DN 16), trans. by Sister Vajira and Francis Story
- Anguttara Nikaya Anthologies
- Samyutta Nikaya Anthologies
- The Discourse Collection: Sutta Nipata Antholgy by John Ireland.
Ajahn Thanissaro, Metta Forest Monastery: Epub and Mobi, free
There is a growing collection at dhammatalks.org, including the complete Dhammapada and Udana, as well as the anthologies Into the Stream, Beyond Coping, and Mindful of the Body. Expect more to come in the near future.
From readingfaithfully.org: Epub and Mobi, Free
- Dhammapada, translated by Venerable Acharya Buddharakkhita. Includes PDF’s, Kindle/Mobi, and Epub (Related: Dhammapada as a daily practice)
- Dhammapada, translated by Venerable Narada. Includes PDF’s and Kindle/Mobi and Epub
- Therigatha: Psalms of the Sisters, Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids. Includes Kindle/Mobi, and Epub
- Sutta Nipata: Translated by Viggo Fausboll Includes Kindle/Mobi, and Epub
- Buddhist Legends: Dhammapada Origin Stories, translated by E. W. Burlingame DRAFT Includes Kindle/Mobi, and Epub
Original Texts in Pali: Epub, free
From this website, Mobi and Epub books in the Pali language. Includes proper font support.
- Some commercial books available for the Amazon Kindle.
- Venerable Pesala has an edited version of Venerable Narada’s Dhammapada translation along with summaries of the commentary stories. It can be found as an free epub here.
- Venerable Yuttadhammo has created Epubs of E.B. Cowel’s Jataka verses and commentary. They can be found here.
Auto Generated Books
These books appear to be simple auto generated books from html web pages. As such they are not necessarily well formatted. But they may be of benefit for a sutta practice that is simply reading one sutta after the other.
- This discussion thread has links to auto generated Mobi and Epub versions of Accesstoinsight.org. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.
- Leigh Braisington has a Kindle folder on his website that includes the Accesstoinsight.org content of the Anguttara Nikaya, Sutta Nipata, and Udana. They are .prc files that can be read on the Kindle. They appear to only include the translations by Ajahn Thanissaro and may be from an old edition of the website.
Are you aware of other Mobi or Epub Sutta books available? Post them in the comments. Note: this page is exclusively for Sutta books.