This is a very modern and easy to read translation. It is the perfect text to read a little bit from each day or take with you into the forest to read under a tree.
Sign up for the e-mail newsletter to find out when the official version is available.
- Verses of the Senior Monks: Theragatha—Kindle AZW3
- Verses of the Senior Monks: Theragatha—EPUB
- Verses of the Senior Monks: Theragatha—PDF A5
Here are some of the verses of Arahant Ananda:
Gotama is learned, a brilliant speaker,
The attendant to the Buddha.
Unfettered, with burden put aside,
He lies down to sleep.
Unfettered, his defilements have ended,
He has transcended attachments,
and has attained nibbāna.
He bears his final body,
Gone beyond birth and death.
Gotama, in whom the teachings of the Buddha,
The Kinsman of the Sun, are established,
Stands on the path
Leading to nibbāna.
I learned 82,000 from the Buddha,
And 2,000 from the monks;
Are the teachings I have memorized.
A person of little learning
Ages like an ox—
Their flesh grows,
But their wisdom doesn’t.
A learned person who, on account of their learning,
Looks down on someone of little learning,
Seems to me like
A blind man holding a lamp.
You should stay close to a learned person—
Don’t lose what you’ve learned.
It is the root of the spiritual life,
So you should memorize the Dhamma.
You may also be interested in:
- Therigatha: Psalms of the Sisters, Mrs C.A.F. Rhys Davids, Free Kindle, Epub
- Theragatha Therigatha Anthology from AccesstoInsight.org, Free Kindle, Epub
- Sutta Pitaka e-books: epub, mobi, Kindle
- Using an E-book Reader for Sutta practice: Kindle, Nook, etc.
- How To: Loading files on to an ebook reader