Venerable Narada’s translation is regarded as being accurate and readable, but the language is perhaps a bit older than Acharya Buddharakkita’s version. It can often be found as a free distribution book that includes the translation, Pali, notes, and summaries from the commentary stories. A pdf of the original publication can be found at archive.org. An online version of the original can be found here. Other free electronic versions can be found below:
Print double sided onto 8.5×11 paper and fold to make a booklet (choose “flip on short edge” in printer settings). This edition does not include the story summaries or footnotes from the original.
Verses only. Print on 8.5×11 paper. Otherwise the text is the same as above.
Epub, Kindle: Verse Only
This is the verses only of the original translation by Venerable Narada Maha Thera.
Epub: With Commentary Stories
Bhikkhu Pesala has revised the translation of the verses and commentary stories and made it available as both an Epub and PDF on aimwell.org. If you need a version to read on a Kindle, you can easily use software called Calibre to convert the epub into Kindle format.
- Dhammapada as a Daily Practice
- Buddhist Legends: Dhammapada Origin Stories, translated by E. W. Burlingame, Kindle ebook
- Dhammapada translated by Ven. Acariya Buddharakkhita
- Sutta Reading Audio Book MP3—Dhammapada: The Buddha’s Path of Wisdom, Translated by Acharya Buddharakkhita
- Dhammapada translated by Bhikkhu Sujato—English & Pali-English—Free Epub, Kindle
- Suttta E-books: Kindle, Mobi Epub
- How To: Loading files on to an ebook reader