This translation of the Dhammapada by Venerable Acharya Buddharkkhita is highly regarded by many for both it’s accuracy as well as readability. It’s prefect to use for reading the Dhammapada as a daily practice. There are currently two editions in circulation:
- The most recent is currently published by the Buddhist Publication Society. They have a regular and pocket version, both in paperback including the Pali as well as the translation. See the Source Page for ordering information. A must for every sutta library.
- An older edition, originally published in 1985, is now available widely on line for free distribution. All of the digital versions found on this site originate from the one on AccessToInsight.org. Even though this edition does not include the revisions in the one mentioned above, it is still very usable. You can also find this translation on SuttaCentral.net.
1985 Edition, Free Electronic versions:
E-books: Kindle/Mobi, Epub
This version includes the introduction by Bhikkhu Bodhi as well as the footnotes. To ensure proper font rendering, choose the correct version for your device. Note: the table of contents may not render properly on e-pub reading devices.
- Kindle/Mobi ~ Dhammapada: The Buddha’s Path of Deliverance, by Acharya Buddharakkhita, 1985
- Epub ~ Dhammapada: The Buddha’s Path of Deliverance, by Acharya Buddharakkhita, 1985
Pali and English
This is the same translation as above, but with the original Pali included verse by verse.
- WITH PALI: Kindle/Mobi ~ Dhammapada: The Buddha’s Path of Deliverance, by Acharya Buddharakkhita, 1985
- WITH PALI: Epub ~ Dhammapada: The Buddha’s Path of Deliverance, by Acharya Buddharakkhita, 1985
The following two versions only include the Dhammapada verses themselves. Be sure to read Bhikkhu Bodhi’s introduction to this translation, not included in this version. (For a print version of the the introduction, see the next item)
- Booklet format PDF: This version can be printed double sided onto 8.5×11 paper and then folded into a booklet (choose “flip on short edge” in printer settings)
- Whole page format PDF: Simply print on 8.5×11 paper
Introduction and notes
This is only the introduction and notes without the verses
- Booklet format Introduction only PDF: This version can be printed double sided onto 8.5×11 paper and then folded into a booklet (choose “flip on short edge” in printer settings)
An audio version of the Dhammapada 1985 edition can be downloaded from this page, each chapter as its own file.
- How To: Loading files on to an ebook reader
- Dhammapada as a daily practice
- Sutta Reading Audio Book MP3—Dhammapada: The Buddha’s Path of Wisdom, Translated by Acharya Buddharakkhita
- Dhammapada translated by Ven. Narada
- Origin Stories to the Dhammapada verses
- Suttta E-books: Kindle, Mobi Epub