This page contains contact information specifically for print copies of sutta texts, either for purchase, free distribution or PDF Download. You may also be interested in the document Building a Sutta Library.
Sources: Printed books, commercial
wisdompubs.org. All of these books are available in both print and e-book (epub, Kindle, pdf) without DRM. Wisdom publishes:
- In the Buddha’s Words, by Bhikkhu Bodhi (Read a book review, or read the same suttas in a free translation)
- The Long Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Dīgha Nikāya by Maurice Walsh
- The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha, A Translation of the Majjhima Nikāya, translated by Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi (free sample)
- The Connected Discourses of the Buddha, A Translation of the Saṁyutta Nikāya, by Bhikkhu Bodhi (free sample)
- The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha: A (complete) Translation of the Aṅguttara Nikāya, translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi (free sample)
- The Suttanipata: An Ancient Collection of the Buddha’s Discourses Together with Its Commentaries, translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi
- The Buddha’s Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon, by Bhikkhu Bodhi
- The Udāna and the Itivuttaka, Two Classics from the Pali Canon, Translated by John D. Ireland (download complete Itivuttaka for free)
- Aṅguttara Nikāya Anthology, translated by Nyanaponika Thera and Bhikkhu Bodhi.
- The Dhammapada, translated by Āchariya Buddharakkhita (download for free)
- The Life of the Buddha, According to the Pali Canon, by Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli (download for free)
- Buddha, My Refuge, by Bhikkhu Khantipalo
The North American distributor for BPS is Pariyatti.org.
Mahamegha Publishes translations made by Ven. Kiribathgoda Gnanananda. Most of his translations are into Sinhala language. However there are a few collections available in print.
From the Saṁyutta Nikaya
- Dhammapada: What Does the Buddha Really Teach
- Itivuttaka: This was said by the Buddha
- Therigatha: The Voice of Enlightened Nuns
- Theragātha: The Voice of Enlightened Monks
- Stories of Heavenly Mansions from the Vimanavatthu
- Stories of Ghosts from the Petavatthu
Pali Text Society (PTS)
Available directly from www.palitext.com. The North American distributor for PTS is Pariyatti.org. NOTE! Be very, very clear that you want to purchase the English translation, otherwise they may send you the Pali. Publishes:
- The Rhinoceros Horn and Other Early Buddhist Poems (Sutta Nipāta), translated by K. R. Norman, with alternative translations by I. B. Horner and Ven. Walapola Rahula
- Poems of Early Buddhist Monks (Theragāthā), translated by K. R. Norman, Pali Text Society. Paperback edition available. Complete text.
- Poems of Early Buddhist Nuns (Therīgāthā), Translated by Mrs. C.A.F. Rhys Davids and K. R. Norman
- Minor Anthologies Vol. IV : Vimānavatthu (Stories of the Mansions) and Petavatthu (Stories of the Departed). ISBN 13: 978-086013073-4
Printed books, Free Distribution
They now provide a list of currently available books.
Distributes all of Ajahn Ṭhanissaro’s sutta translations as well as short anthologies. Books are published when someone donates the printing cost, so not all titles may be available. All are available as ebooks from dhammatalks.org Note: The Handful of Leaves anthology has recently been reorganized.
- Handful of Leaves Vol 1: Dīgha Nikāya, selected suttas
- Handful of Leaves Vol 2: Majjhima Nikaya, selected suttas
- Handful of Leaves Vol 3: Saṁyutta Nikāya, selected suttas
- Handful of Leaves Vol 4: Aṅguttara Nikaya, selected suttas.
- Dhammapada, complete
- Udana, complete
- Itivuttaka, complete
- Sutta Nipata (contains Khuddakapāṭha), complete
- Theragāthā & Therīgāthā, anthology
Other books featured on this website, unless otherwise noted, are available through your favorite local or online book seller.
Visit the Sutta E-books page to see sources for e-books specifically.